• November 1897 – The Orphanage building was chosen and price agreed, fundraising began.
January 1898 – The Northern Police Orphanage opened and first child
housed (initially in
temporary accommodation whilst renovations were carried out to building).
• June 1942 – Name changed to St George’s House.
• December 1954 – Orphanage closed.
January 1955 – Albany Lodge opened, housing remaining members from the
• January 1955 – St George’s Fund was set up providing weekly allowances at the time of 10s per week to police officers children. The grants/allowances were used to provide “support, maintenance, education and advancement in life”, until a young person left full time education (up to and including Further and Higher education). Wholly funded by subscription
from members of the police force, with no capital behind it whatsoever.
August 1956 – Albany Lodge closed, any remaining children returned to their families.
• 1957 – around mid-1960’s – St George's House used to house and support
individuals with special needs.
• March 1967 – Orphanage sold for £24,500.
• 1967 – Northern Orphans Trust set up and grants commenced –
supporting those with special needs and continuation of those people into further education who had been in Albany lodge.
2006 – Merge of the two charities, St George’s Fund and Northern Orphans Trust to create the St George’s Police Trust.
• 2012 – Renamed St George’s Police Children Trust.